The redevelopment of the Alan Burns Oval is still on track to be completed by Christmas, according to Narromine Shire mayor Craig Davies.
Last Tuesday Narromine Shire Council hosted an extraordinary council meeting to consider the redevelopment of Trangie’s oval. Cr Davies said while they have heard recommendations, Council has resolved to continue with their current position of accepting a tender which is “fully funded, guarenteed and meets both Council and community expectations.”
Cr Davies said that a concurring sentiment from community members is to move ahead with the project.
“We have a responsibility to get on and get it done, and that’s what we intend to do.”
“It will start very early in September and ... there will be turf on it before Christmas,” he said.
“In December I am really looking forward to seeing a wonderful oval that will serve the next couple of generations of footballers and cricketers in Trangie, and I hope it’s going to be wonderful for our community.”
The work had been set for completion before the start of the 2018 winter sport season, but was delayed after budgeting miscalculations to complete the proposed work.
A proposal had been put to the Office of Liquor and Gaming by a coalition of local sporting bodies, resulting in a $692,000 grant, while the council ($100,000) and Trangie Action Group ($12,000) also contributed to the $854,000 budget, but it was discovered late last year there was not enough funding to complete the work.